I realized today that I haven't put one bite of food into my mouth since July 14th that I haven't entered into my food journal. Every single calorie has been counted...every morsel has been documented.
There have been a handful of times that I didn't have an accurate calorie count available, and for those items, I'm absolutely certain that I estimated well on the high side. But most often, I make food choices based on my ability to know what it's costing me.
I can't compromise on this exercise. I know myself. If I slack off on my food journal, or engage in an excessive amount of guessing, that will begin my decent down a slippery slope. I absolutely know that to be true.
So I count and calculate and research and document. And I've stayed well under 1,500 calories every single day. At the beginning, this was a pretty time-consuming endeavor, but it gets easier every day. I actually wonder if this will be something that I'll do for the rest of my life. Once I lose all the weight I need to lose, will I still need to maintain this level of accountability? Has anyone thought that far ahead?
When I was thinking about what I wanted to blog tonight, I tried to imagine what my life will be like at this time next year. In some ways, I don't think it will be different at all. I will still be me. I will still love my family, and they will love me. I will still have good friends, and an enduring and sustaining relationship with my God.
But there will definitely be differences. I will certainly be healthier. I will be more confident. And I will be able to do physical things that I can't do now. I know there are other things that will be different, but I'm actually having a hard time even imagining. Isn't that interesting? Maybe I'm just tired, or maybe I'm afraid to let my mind go there.
One thing I know. It will be very good. And I can't wait to get there!
Hope you've all had a good day, and that tomorrow brings new adventures and fresh insight.
God bless...
I read a lot of wellness blogs and most of the ones from people who have lost the weight and kept it off still keep track of their calories/points in one way or another - either writing it down or keeping a tally in their head. I will either continue to track everyday or do it in my head and if I start to put on a few pounds I will go back to tracking on paper (computer). Like you said - it's much easier to do now that I'm used to it and I know the counts for the foods I eat so often. It just feels second nature to me now - it doesn't feel like a burden.
ReplyDeleteI admire your discipline with the food journal.
ReplyDeleteThinking a year from now....I can't even imagine what a couple months from now are going to be like when I see you for the first time since your journey began....again bring kleenex (since you'll get there first) because I will be shedding tears of joy for you!
Stay strong, focused and in prayer.
Love always.......
I'm on the I'll always track in some way side. I know me, and when I get to my goal if I just stopped counting, I could be in big trouble. Maybe I'll feel differently when I get there because I know this is a process, but that's where I am right now. I'm always going to have to hold myself accountable. And that's not a bad thing. Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteCheryl
I hope that a day will come that I don't have to track every bite I take, but yet I'm scared that if I stop...like you said...it will become a slippery slope.
ReplyDeleteA year from now? Wow. I'm not sure I can imagine it either. I'm too scared that what I want to happen won't and I'll just be disappointed. Focusing on one day at a time seems to be working for me right now.
You are doing so great, Karyn! Keep it up!!
Since I've lost and gained many pounds over and over again, I must say the difference for me this time has been my commitment and understanding that this has to be a lifelong journey.I've kept 80 of the 100 lbs. off for about 17 years now. I still struggle to get the 20 extra back off, but try to find ways to encourage myself like weekly weigh-ins with our local T.O.P.S. group in my town. My new favorite way is to read your blog! Thank you for laying your heart out there. You are an awesome inspiration for me!
ReplyDeleteLadies...you are all so awesome! Thanks for weighing in! I'm not sure if I'll count calories forever, but I am pretty certain that there will always be an awareness of the choices I'm making.
ReplyDeleteBecky...you're a total inspiration to me! You'll kick those last 20...I'm absolutely certain of it.
And Sandy...I still have a long way to go, but I'm pretty sure by mid-October you'll be able to see a difference :-)
And Amy...I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to be disappointed. Good idea to focus on the present and let tomorrow take care of itself.
When we type, at first, we hunt and peck...
ReplyDeleteAnd then a little faster,
looking away,
then soon multi-tasking as we go!
Same with driving
(except for looking away)
and lots of other skills, or learned behaviour.
Maybe the same with eating right?
Anne...I absolutely LOVE that! What a great analogy. Those things become second nature as we become more comfortable. We still have to focus to a degree, but then go with the flow.
ReplyDeleteLove it!
Karyn, you are so disciplined - I am truly impressed! That is hard work, all by itself, to faithfully log in everything that way. I have NOT been counting calories right now, but I plan to, once I hit a plateau. Is there a particular format, program or log book you use? How to you find the calories counts? I'm not even sure what daily calorie count I should be aiming for, so I guess I have some research to do. LOL Keep up the AWESOME work. I don't remember what it was like to be 100 lbs thinner, to be honest, it has been that long ago now. I've spent almost as much time obese as I have normal weight. Sad, isn't it? I think, a year from now, you will be so focused on moving forward, and enjoying things you can't right now, that you won't be giving it much thought. :) Thanks for the motivation!! xx
ReplyDeleteKaryn, that is fantastic. What an accomplishment! It really keeps you honest. I advise people who say they aren't losing weight and they are eating well to go back to the beginning and start weighing, measuring and keeping track...it really makes a difference. Thank you for all the positive love you send out to me and your readers.
ReplyDelete