My husband and I both drive very well-worn cars. Mine's a 1997 Toyota with nearly 150,000 miles. It's really reliable and Bill takes great care of it.
Yesterday, though, my check engine light went on. I kinda freak out when stuff like that happens. One time I was driving his car and it died when I was in the turning lane at a busy intersection. It was a HORRIBLE experience...one that I never want to repeat!
So when my check engine light went on, that whole scene flashed before my eyes and I got really nervous.
I called Bill and told him what was up and he asked me some questions about how the car was behaving, and then encouraged me not to worry. He called me later that evening from his second job and told me that he would take my car to the auto parts store on his way to his first job in the morning so they could check out the trouble codes. He wanted to make sure that was OK with me before he put his work stuff in my car, and moved my stuff into his. I told him it could wait until the weekend if that was easier for him (even though I'm totally on edge the whole time I'm driving!)
He said he wanted to take care of it for me, so when he got home last night he made the switch. As if that's not sweet enough, here's the really touching part. When I started up his car this morning, the radio was on. Bill NEVER leaves the radio on. But here it was on, and tuned to the station I listen to in the morning (which is a different station from the one he listens to). He knows that I find the radio in his car difficult to navigate and he wanted to save me the frustration!
I really appreciate this guy, and he's at the very top of my list when I count my blessings! And he's also one of my main motivations for losing weight and getting healthy. He's my very best friend, and I want to spend many more years together. I think it would be lovely to be one of those cute senior couples who stroll in the park, holding hands. I want us to be able to do all the fun and active stuff old people do when we face our twilight years. (You have to be in great shape to play shuffleboard, you know!) And I want to be able to keep up with our grandkids, and live long enough to hold our great-grandkids!
So for him, for us, and for them, I keep fighting this good fight against the part of me that wants to be lazy and indulgent. That part of me is slowly losing her voice, and is being drowned out by the part of me that wants to be healthy, content, and satisfied.
I stayed under 1,400 calories today, drank plenty of water, and did so-so with exercise. I'm not listening to the voice that's encouraging me to move as much as I should, but I'll get there. There's no doubt. Because in the end, at least for me, it's really all about love. I love my family too much to stop now, and I'm starting to love myself, too. I'm worth every bit of this struggle, and so are each of you!
Good night and God bless...
Oh...and P.S. Happy Birthday, Sierra!!! Love you, honey!
That's really sweet of your husband to think of everything! I too need to do this for my family they are the best thing in the world! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteI love this post for so many reasons! You really remind me of my mom!
ReplyDeleteI've recently started a list of reasons why...why I need and want to do this. You mentioned a lot of the same things tonight that I have on my beginning of a list.
You are so blessed to have Bill...but he's so blessed to have you as well! Keep fighting!
p.s. Did your car get fixed? :)
I loved your story. Makes me think there might be a good one out there for. Hang on to him. Those guys are few and far between.
ReplyDeleteIf your intentions are worthy, you will be blessed in your efforts. What better intention then to be around for your guy.
A little faklept.. so cute...
ReplyDeleteAwww, what a sweetie. The both of you are blessed. You are both worth it.
ReplyDeleteBernice...family can be the very best motivation for doing this...that's for sure.
ReplyDeleteAmy...Here we go again...being on the same page! ;-) The problem with the car turned out to be 2 fouled spark plugs. Bill cleaned them up and we're good to go!
F. McButter Pants...Keep the faith! There are definitely good guys out there, and I hope with all my heart that you find yours!
Allan...I actually had to use Google to figure out your post! ;-) Also not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'll take it at face value and just say "thanks!" I'm pretty sure if I talked to your wife, she would tell me what a really sweet husband you are!
Hey Just Me...thanks for the comment. I love reading your stuff...I can always count on you to make me smile! :-)