Oh boy...already having trouble keeping up with two posts. I'm gonna have to cheat this time and break this one post into two pieces. ;-)
OK...have a question, people. We finally got around to picking up a food scale. Up until now, I've been relying on serving sizes listed on various foods.
So I love scallops. Not only do I love them, they are a fantastic low calorie food choice, and they are chock full of omega 3s and other nutrients good for my cardiovascular health!
I usually buy them frozen. The package says a serving is 4 oz. for 90 calories, and the package contains 4 servings. So usually I would just divide the package in two and have two portions at 180 calories each.
Now that I have the scale, I thought I'd measure out 4 oz. So I sauteed the scallops (I don't add anything...just saute and eat!) So when I weighed them, I found the 4 oz. was actually more than 3/4 of the bag!
So does that mean that the package labeling values are for the food in a frozen, uncooked state? I guess I now have the same question about chicken, since I eat quite a bit chicken during the week. Do I weigh the boneless breast or strips before I cook them, or after?
Any wisdom out there?
OK...that's it for now. I'll be back shortly for my second post of the day so I can stay in Allan's challenge. And I've had a killer headache all day, so I'm gonna go take something for it.
Oh yeah...when I come back I'll tell you what the scale said this morning. ;-)
Karyn, I would say whatever the package lists as calorie count is for how they are, packaged. What you do with them when cooked would change that I'd think. :::doing my best guess shrug here:::
ReplyDeleteCheryl
Pre-cooked weight, unfrozen is on the bag. They shrink when you cooks em, and at the same time, absorb any liquids around. As scallops are all relatively the same size within the bag, they are sold by count from the fisherman to the wholesaler, etc. use the total count, and divide by the bag weight. 12 scallops in the bag, and the bag weighs 1 pound, those are U-12 scallops. 4 ounces would be 3 pieces, no matter what you do to them. Shrimp work the same...
ReplyDeleteEeeeee I'm dying here, how much did you lose?! ;)
ReplyDeleteWow. Thanks Allan! That's good to know. I just bought some shrimp this past weekend.
ReplyDeleteMaybe I should try scallops soon...
Thanks much for the info!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, Amy. I highly recommend giving scallops a try!