Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Salt of the Earth... (Day 71 - Part II)

Holy cow!!!  I had a rude awakening today!

I don't know too much about sodium. I do know that a high salt intake contributes to some pretty serious health issues...high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. But that's about all I know.

So since I started this whole thing in mid-July, I decided to go for healthy so I pretty much stopped using the salt shaker altogether. I still shake a little sea salt on eggs and when I have watermelon.  But that's it.

So today, for the heck of it, I decided to total up the sodium in the things I usually eat.  Again, can I just say holy cow!!!

My favorite low-fat string cheese from Aldi...50 calories, but 230 mg of sodium each. I usually have two! My scallops have 360 mg. My single serve popcorn only has 100 calories, but 180 mg of sodium.  Wendy's small chili? Only 220 calories.  But 870 mg of sodium!!! (I'm not sure I'm going to get over this one!  It totally breaks my heart!)  The whole wheat sandwich thins that I like? 230 mg.  And don't even get me started on canned vegetables!!!  Only fresh or frozen from here on out!

Today's totals?  1250 calories, but 3100 mg. of sodium.

So I Googled what we're supposed to have in a day, and sodium shouldn't exceed 2,400 mg.   I think the only thing that's been saving me is that I've been drinking water like a champ.

Oh, the horror!  I can't even begin to imagine how much sodium I was taking in before I started this weight loss thing!

Well...live and learn.  I'm going to start keeping track and will try and stay under 2,400 mg.

I'm gonna go drink some more water.  Good night and God bless...

2 comments:

  1. And you were just saying a few days ago that you thought your sodium counts were okay.... :)
    I'm glad you checked it out for yourself.
    Knowledge...it's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karyn, maybe you could make a pot of chili and freeze it in individual containers? I know it's not drive-thru, but you could control the salt.

    I know I need to take a look at mine. I eat sandwiches(processed meats and cheese) and I like some canned veggies.

    ReplyDelete