Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fall is in the Air (Day 58)

I love the fall...especially here in the Midwest.  Beautiful days and cool, crisp nights. Trees displaying a splendid palette of vibrant earth-tones, and pretty soon there will be the enticing aroma of burning wood wafting through the air from chimneys throughout the neighborhood.

What a pleasant relief after the stifling and oppressive heat that we've had this summer.  I'm not a big fan of Chicago's brutal winters, but for now, I'm happy to thoroughly enjoy the next couple of months.

It was a very good day today. At work, we had a full day of speakers who were presented via streaming video on the Internet that our staff watched together on the big screen.  We also invited leaders from other local churches to join us, and many of them did. It was a great time, though tomorrow will be a stressful day of catch-up.

At lunchtime, pizza and soft drinks were provided for our staff and guests.  I knew that lunch would be provided, but I didn't know what it would be. When the dozen or so boxes of gorgeous pizzas were stacked up on the table, I made a quick decision.  I grabbed my purse and dashed off to Wendy's where I ordered a diet coke and a small chili for 220 calories.  I also had a large pear and granola bar in my purse, which topped off a very nice lunch.

Up to this point, I've been functioning very well in all settings, being able to identify and select healthy choices from whatever is being served. But pizza is a different story. It's one of those trigger foods for me.  And I haven't even done the least bit of research related to calorie count per slice, mostly because I didn't want to be tempted.

So eating pizza at this point was pretty much out of the question.  As former president George Herbert Walker Bush once said, "It wouldn't be prudent!" ;-)

Though I haven't deprived myself completely.  Sometimes I make a little individual pizza with a wheat pita, tomato sauce, 1/4 cup of mozzarella, mushrooms, and grilled chicken.  It's pretty delicious, though I must admit, it doesn't even come close to the awesome deliciousness of a sausage and spinach deep dish beauty from Nancy's!

Anyway, a pizza binge was avoided and crisis averted!  1,375 calories, lots of water, but not much walking because of the conference.  I'll do some exercises before bed and call it a night.

Lots of great stuff going on in the blogs out there...I love keeping up with you guys, sharing the struggles and successes.

Have a great Friday everyone, and let's stay the course!

God bless...

3 comments:

  1. You're making me long for a visit to Indiana...now...not in December. lol. I've never been a fan of the brutal winters back there either. I gues I'll get a taste of it in December, huh? Thankfully, Troy's parents have a fireplace that I'll be curled up in front of the entire visit. :)
    I'm so proud of you for going out to get your own lunch! I probably would've caved and eaten a slice of pizza.
    Let me know how the exercises are going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard that the almanac said that we're suppose to have a mild winter here in the Midwest (I live in Indiana), for whatever that's worth. I love the snow, just don't like driving on it. Karyn, way to go on the lunch choice. You had a decision to make and it was the right one. When you know that trouble is lurking, it's best to avoid it, like with the pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wow, wow, Karyn. That's a big accomplishment with pizzas around. Way to treat yourself right. Wendy's chili is good too. BTW, I find when they say Lunch will be provided at our work...it is usually something fattening. I don't know why, but I think I'll have a chat with the boss about that - perhaps some healthier alternatives for those who would like them would be nice. You've just given me a great idea (plus our boss is fantastic, so I'm sure she'll accomodate us). I love the fall too. We are blessed with the same kind of fall weather you are...and the colours...there's nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete