We had Family Fun Night tonight at Justin's girlfriend Allison's house...so much fun! And it's the Chicago Bears taking on the Green Bay Packers on Monday Night football. It would be a miracle if the Monsters of the Midway are up to it, but one could hope. (We're down 10 to 7 at half time!)
So I have another NSV (non-scale victory). But this one requires a bit of a set up. Bill and I have been married for 34 years. Those 34 years include the time that we separated 9 years ago. There was no monumental indiscretion that caused this to happen. No adultery...neither of us killed anyone. Essentially, we just grew apart. We had become roommates, and not loving partners. Neither one of us wanted to get a divorce. I just didn't want to live that way anymore. So we separated...we sold our house and we each bought a condo. We remained very cordial with each other always, especially because we still had two kids at home at the time...a daughter in Jr. High and a daughter in High School.
During our separation, I learned a lot about myself. First, I learned that I was capable of taking care of myself and our girls. I had left my parent's house to move in with my husband, and I'd never been on my own. So I was really afraid that I might not be up to it, but I was pleased to find out that I was stronger than I thought I was.
I also learned that as much as I loved and missed Bill, being apart was better than being together the way we were. There wasn't one of us who was to blame for what we had become...we both shared the responsibility. But I had no intention of ever asking Bill for a divorce. He was my only love. I couldn't imagine ever being with anyone else. So I was content to stay as we were, and I made a life that centered around my children, family, friends, work, and my relationship with God.
At the same time, Bill was also learning a lot about himself. He was doing a lot of reading, attending workshops, and talking to people who were able to provide him with insight and guidance. I didn't know it at the time, but he was working things out for himself, and for us.
After 3 years apart, Bill called me one day and asked me out on a date. We began to see each other, and it wasn't long before we knew that the world wouldn't spin correctly on its axis until we were together again. That was six years ago, and I can honestly say that our separation was the best thing that ever happened to us. It was hard at the time, but the result that we have now was worth every bit of pain. We could have gone along and continued to have a crummy marriage, ending our lives as cranky and unhappy roommates. Or we could have what we have now...something so good that I'm struggling to even put it into words.
Anyway, back to the NSV. During our separation, I wasn't able to get my wedding ring off my finger. With all the weight I gained over the years, it was absolutely not budging! I know I could have had it cut off...I just couldn't do it. And when we got back together, I was so happy that I hadn't. But earlier this year, it got really bad and I'm pretty sure my finger started turning blue. So I bought this little tool over the internet and my son cut the ring off for me.
I think it bothered Bill that I wasn't wearing his ring, so for Mother's Day this year, he surprised me with a beautiful set of rings. But of course, they were too small. So we went and had them re-sized to fit my pudgy finger.
And then on July 14th, I read about this guy who weighed 505 lbs. and had lost 230 lbs. so far. Reading about Sean Anderson changed my life, and now with 35.5 lbs. gone, my rings are falling off my finger.
Oh yeah, 35.5 lbs. lost means that when I weighed in today, I had lost 2.5 lbs. over the past week!
I will definitely have to stop wearing my rings soon for fear of losing them. I may just wear them on a chain until I'm ready to get them re-sized one last time.
Good night and God bless...
What a wonderful story, Karyn! I'm so glad for you both that God worked on both of you. Congrats on the weight loss!
ReplyDeleteI really cannot believe how many lives that Sean's story has touched and changed. It's truly remarkable. I can't wait to read his book.
God Bless You!
Cheryl
Outstanding!
ReplyDeleteOh Karyn! Thank you for sharing that story and that part of your life.
ReplyDeleteHow special is it now, for the two of you to have such a wonderful relationship. :)
My original wedding set has a broken bracket, so no longer wear it. But Troy has promised me a new set when I get to my goal weight!
I can't wait!! :)
Congrats on the NSV!
Love you Karyn! Thanks so much for sharing that story...you and Bill have something so beautiful that all of us aspire to have someday. XOXO
ReplyDeleteHey girl...sorry about the title of my last post...I did an update on that post w/ a little more explanation. Thank you for checking on me. :)
ReplyDelete