Wednesday, August 11, 2010

And the Metamorphosis Begins...

I will always remember July 14, 2010 as the day the metamorphosis began.

Not the most important transformation...that occurred in my early 20s when I began a life-long relationship with the God who knows me completely and loves me anyway. That day truly changed my life...not just changed my life, but saved my life.

But on July 14th, the physical metamorphosis toward health and a commitment to treat this temple that God has given me with the respect and love that it deserves was born.

When I got up that day, I really didn't intend on taking this on.  Believe me, there have been countless Mondays over the last couple of decades that I declared "this is the day!"  This day in July wasn't even a Monday...it was Wednesday.

I logged on to my computer when I got up to check my email and see what occured in the world while I was sleeping.  As I logged onto AIM, the AOL homepage popped up and I saw a headline about a guy who lost over 200 lbs. and never ate a salad.  I'm not sure why I was so intrigued because I happen to love salad, but something made me click on that link.

That's when I met Sean Anderson. He's become a very good friend even though we've never met.  The article related his journey from 505 lbs. to where he is today...just 13 lbs. away from his goal of 230 lbs.  It was an inspiring story and the article included a link to Sean's blog and I decided I needed to learn more about this guy.

And that's when my life changed.  Sean is a real down-to-earth guy who decided to do something radical before his obesity killed him.  He had this unbelieveable diet plan.  You're really not going to believe it.  Are you ready?  He decided he was going to eat less and exercise more.  You read it here, friends!  Eat less and exercise more!

I know...that's crazy sauce, right?  People need more than that to lose weight.  You have to have some kind of master plan...a meal replacement plan, or prepared meals plan, or low carb, high protein plan, or some kind of magic pill plan, or a lapband, stomach stapling plan.  Eat less and exercise more?  Come on!

But it's genius, really.  And it's changing my life.  Sean decided that he had to live in a world full of food.  And any diet plan that required you to do anything other than eat like a normal, regular person was doomed to fail.  Because you can't stay on something like that forever. It's unsustainable.  Invariably, people gain back what they've lost and then some because eventually they have to face food.  Believe me...I speak from experience!

So the idea is to allow yourself 1500 calories per day, and you can spend them however you want.  No special food...no forbidden food. If you want 1500 calories in Snickers bars, that's your choice to make.  But that's all you get for the day.  When you've emptied your calorie bank, you're done for the day.

I've been doing this since July 14th and it's been beyond amazing.  I've already learned so much about portion control and good calorie values.  I can honestly say that I have been very rarely hungry and more often than not, I leave calories on the table at the end of the day. I set up my food journal in an excel spreadsheet and it calculates for me automatically.  I've researched the calorie content of many of my favorite things and have entered those in my spreadsheet, as well. Even restaurants are not off limits.  So many of them make their nutrition available online...it's awesome!  Bill and I went to Red Lobster for lunch on Sunday after enjoying a fantastic movie.  Because I did a little research beforehand, I was able to enjoy a fantastic, filling Broiled Seafood Platter for only 280 calories. Without that research, though, there were many things on that menu with HUGE portions and ridiculous calorie counts that no one should be eating!

The other part of my metamorphosis is to move.  Exercise has not been a part of my life because, frankly, moving with all this extra weight is pretty difficult. My knees hurt on stairs and I wouldn't have to do much before I would become out of breath. But I've made a commitment to move, and while I know it will take time to undue all these years of abusing this temple, I will take it one day at a time and move. I'm walking more and my fantastic husband will be assembling my new recumbent bike very soon.

Two other things...I'm drinking lots and lots of water and am actually enjoying it.  Who knew?  And I'm also trying to understand myself and my relationship with food because I do believe that so much of this struggle is between me, myself, and I.

I am reading my buddy Sean's blog from the beginning of his journey and I'm finding him to be beyond inspiring.  Sean began his blog as a way to understand himself and to keep himself accountable.  It's a fabulous idea, and it's why I'm doing it, too.  Whether anyone reads this or not, I believe I'll learn something new about myself with every post.

I'm not too big on photos, but I may be sorry later if I don't post some here.  I really despise looking at pictures of myself, and for that reason, very few exist.  I'll think about that and we'll see.  And I'm pretty sure I don't want to post my weight here.  Can't quite face that.  It was hard enough to weigh myself...I really didn't want to know.  But it's just a number, and it's already one that I'll never see again.  I'm not going to set a goal.  I'm going to lose weight until I know I've lost enough.  I'm weighing every Monday, and to date, I've lost 15.5 lbs.  I am beyond thrilled because I know I've been making healthy choices and I feel great!

So thanks for reading!!  If you want to be inspired by Sean's success and his beautiful outlook on life, you can check him out at http://losingweighteveryday.blogspot.com/

God bless you...

11 comments:

  1. Amazing, Mom!! I'm so proud of you and love you so much!! Can't wait to read more! Kiss and hug, Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, honey! Love you so much, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karyn,

    I'm honored my friend. Thank you. I'm also thrilled for you!!! I LOVE this post---and not because you mention me---I LOVE it, because I can see that you GET IT.
    We're conditioned our entire lives to make this hard...and you will have challenging days where you have to battle yourself...but ultimately--your good choices will prevail---and you will be amazed and delighted what a joy it can be to really break through...The epiphanies along the way will clarify and brighten the road ahead.

    My best always ---and seriously---I get so busy, so never be offended if I don't get time to stop by very often---BUT--always remember that this blog is for you...it will naturally grow and be read by many---and you'll inspire many people...But---always keep the attitude that it doesn't matter---as long as it's helping you understand yourself better. I had only a handful of readers until until somewhere after day 200---mostly friends and family...
    You're amazing my friend.

    Good choices,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found you from Sean's blog. I look forward to following your journey and sharing the road to health with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the blogging world!

    I agree with what you said about pictures, as much as I loathe my before picture, I am proud that I no longer resemble that woman, even though I still have a long way to go. (I had success with a 100 pound loss in 2009, only to experience some various health issues that helped put about 40 back on me, but I recently got strong enough to finish what I started.)

    Congratulations on your loss so far, and having a strong relationship with God will help you during the moments when you feel like you can't go on, because with Him, you can : )

    Can't wait to get to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karyn!

    I found your blog on Sean's also. I was inspired by Sean's story that I read on my Yahoo homepage. Just the fact that he had lost over 200lbs intrigued me because like you, I love salads.
    I've bookmarked your blog and I look forward to reading it often. Also like you, I love God.
    I started on my journey on July 17th and have lost 27lbs. Tomorrow is weigh day!
    I'm going to set up a blog very soon.
    Keep it up, girl! You're doing great!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karyn..
    I too followed Sean's blog to yours. Congratualtions on your success so far. I look forward to following your journey.
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karyn, it's obvious that Sean has a lot of followers. I, too, found the link to your blog from his. I just started my journey in May. I discovered the world of blogs when my daughter started hers in June and it has helped me tremendously. Besides her, I was wishing I could following someone's journey from the beginning ... you know kind of traveling together. So, I guess you have a new follower. Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too, began my journey on July 14th. I love the butterfly on your page. Butterflies are very special to me for so many reasons. I am also a believer and thankful for God's strength in my weaknesses. Without Him, this journey would NOT be possible. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too have thought about the gift that God has given us in the form of flesh and blood and the fact that I have mistreated it. I treat our house (which is also a gift from God) better than I treat myself. How can I house the "Holy Spirit" in something as disfunctional as I am physically and mentally? Change comes slow, but it comes. I think back to when I was skinny and I wasn't skinny because I did anything special, it was just me. Training yourself to be very specific about what you do in every aspect of your life when you haven't been doing that since day one is deffinately the challenge. I know that it won't be done to perfection and that wordly things will get in the way, but I will have to keep repeating my mantra...."Jesus is the reason for changing me through all seasons"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandy...this is AWESOME!! And I love what you said about housing the Holy Spirit. Really puts the whole thing into perspective.

    So glad we're in this together!

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete