Friday, August 27, 2010

Counting My Blessings on Day 45

I have to admit that I'm really digging this discipline stuff. I have come to really like this feeling of control that I'm developing.  I don't think my life is any different than it was before I decided that enough was enough. I think all the emotions and triggers and challenges are still there.  The difference now is in how I choose to deal with them.

My daughter posted a quote on her facebook page recently by Regina Brett. Regina said,  ‎"If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back." There's a lot of truth right there, at least in my life.  When I look at my life, the fact is that I'm pretty freakin' blessed. Things aren't perfect, of course, but I would definitely grab my own problems back.

I've got no excuses for where I am today physically. Where I am is a result of laziness, and a lack of self-control, and a desire for instant gratification, and a colossal disregard for those things that I knew would be good for me.

I never really recognized or acknowledged this before.  I had all kinds of excuses and rationalizations.  I'm sure I wasn't fooling anyone but myself.  And the truth is that I only see it now because I'm looking at it from a different place.

But don't get me wrong.  I'm not beating myself up over this.  I can't go back and change things, and probably wouldn't even if I could.  Because every minute of my life up until this point has been one huge classroom and these lessons have been well-learned.

Every single day that God graciously grants us is an opportunity for us to decide how we choose to live. I am discovering that I am fully capable of making choices that are really good for me. I believe He's always been there ready to help me...He just wanted me to take the first step and really mean it.  Well, I took it, and I really meant it.  And now Philippians 4:13 is a living, breathing reality in my life.

And here's one more thing that I know for certain.  If I can do this, anybody can!  If you're out there struggling and thinking you're not up to this, you're wrong.  You might have to battle with yourself, but you can win.  And the best part is that if you can get your head on straight, it just gets easier and easier.

All this stuff that came together for me today helped me keep it at 1,100 calories, and drove me to get out and walk, ride that bike, and drink water like I oughta!

Life is good and I'm thankful for it...and I'm thankful for you, my friends!

God bless...

5 comments:

  1. Karyn, Phil 4:13 is my go to scripture. We are more than conquerors!
    I can totally relate to the feeling of being in control. It helps me tremendously.

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever works, I am all for it.. Keep it going, and yes, anyone can do this if they have your drive and will power !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it takes coming to a breaking point. Everyone reaches it at a different time in their lives, for different reasons. For some tragedy, a special purpose, a tiredness or a light goes off in their head. None of us should change the past, because as you said, it's what brings you to the lessons learn. Being creatures of habit though, we learn the lessons and forget some of them.
    I'm extremely glad of what you have accomplished in such a short amount of time when you consider how long it took to get there. I know it's not, but you are making it look easy and yes obtainable for anyone out there that's fighting for something in their lives to change.
    Keep up keeping on, Love you and God Bless.
    Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of months......bring kleenex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making it look easy...and you are a HUGE encouragement to me! This is such a great post...one I'll be coming back to read time and time again. Thank you, Karyn...for sharing your journy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Regina Brett quote. I wouldn't even throw my problems on the pile, because I know that I am already blessed. I think a big part of living a great life is to count your blessings. Thanks for your post today. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete