Thursday, August 12, 2010

Completely Blown Away! (Day 30)

Wow!  I can't thank you all enough for your encouragement!!  Thanks to my family and co-workers, and thanks to Sean and all of you who found me via Sean's blog!! It's a fantastic feeling to know that I've already found new friends on this journey, and that we can all be an encouragement to one another.

While it's only day 2 of this blog, it's day 30 of my metamorphosis, and it's been a very good day.  For my new friends, I work as Communications Director for a large church in Orland Park, Illinois, and today was not a typical Thursday because we served as the host church for a regional training seminar for our database vendor.  It was a crazy day of running from one session to another, and in between, trying to accomplish some of the normal workload. 

Because I knew that we would be having lunch together as a group, I was really tempted to prepare something at home so that I could have control over the calories.  But after thinking about it, I decided that I had to navigate the food that was offered and just figure out how to make healthy choices.

When we went in for lunch, I was thrilled to find that I had a choice between a roast beef or turkey box lunch. I decided on turkey with a bottle of water.  It was a great sandwich with no mayo...I counted it as 350 calories but I'm sure that's high.  I ate the apple, but left the cookie and chips.

After work, I had a great evening hanging out with family. I told everyone I would bring Jimmy Johns so it seemed that I was destined to have a turkey kind of day!  We had so much fun!  I'm sure I burned up a ton of calories just by laughing.  I really have the best family, and I plan to tell you more about them along the way.

So I just got home and decided I really wanted to sit down and put this post together.  It wouldn't be very good to fall behind on the second day!  I was actually thinking about having a snack but I'm really more tired than hungry.  I'll be leaving nearly 600 calories in the bank, and I definitely don't want to get in the habit of doing that.  The old me would probably have stopped at McDonald's on the way home, but the new me wasn't even tempted.  I like the new me much better :-) 

Before I sign off tonight, I just want to thank so many of you again.  I especially appreciate those of you who join me in viewing this as not merely a physical journey...but as a spiritual one.  I have probably read Philippians 4:13 a thousand times during my life.  "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."  But I really don't think I believed that until now.  At least not about losing weight. I've failed so many times in the past.  And I think that if I decide to simply eat less and exercise more without relying on the one who gives me strength, I will fail yet again. So I will cling to Him, and with His help I'll become who He wants me to be.

I'm so glad you're all in my life.  And for those who are on this journey with me, know that I'm praying for you and for your success.

God bless...

Karyn

6 comments:

  1. Mom I am so very proud of you and love you so much! I had so much fun tonight and can't wait to do it again next week :)

    Oh and you have really inspired me to get serious about losing the rest of this baby weight. Well, you and Grandpa that is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca!! You completely crack me up!!! You are a beautiful girl and I love you bunches!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karyn, glad to hear you had a good day and made good choices. I find we have another thing in common, we both have grandchildren or so I'm assuming. Family is so important to me and I cherish the times when we're together. Have a good weekend ... are weekends a challenge for you? Looking forward to reading more about your success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the healthy choices you made. Its defiantly about a lifestyle change and not a diet, so learning how to live healthy in the world that you live in is essential - you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh mom!! i'm so proud of you! and i too shall try to shake this baby weight. since the baby is almost in high school :) you are doing so great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi There! I found you from Sean's blog. Yay! There is so much inspiration in reading blogs of fellow travelers. I hope you'll enjoy writing yours and find it helpful. I'm going to link your blog to mine! Stop in for a visit sometime. Have a great weekend!! CathyB

    ReplyDelete