So I was reflecting today on what a strange step this blogging is for me. Putting myself out here like this does not come naturally to me. I'm a pretty private person...especially related to my struggles. I always figured that I could handle things on my own. But the truth is, that attitude hasn't gotten me very far.
I've been dealing with these weight issues for 20+ years. There have been countless well-intentioned starts followed by dismal failures over the years. And many periods of complete surrender to the idea that it was hopeless and that I would just have to be happy with myself the way I am. Then I would transition to admitting that I wasn't really happy and I'd embark on another well-intentioned start followed by a dismal failure. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome. Based on that, I've been a living, breathing example of insanity!
So I knew if I was ever to make a real change in my life, I couldn't keep doing the same old things that never worked in the past. I couldn't simply start another diet. It's not about a diet...it's about living life in a God-honoring way. It's about taking care of the health and body He's given me. Every time I've started a "diet" in the past, I'd always pray. And I know He was there to help me. But He's not going to do it for me. I need to rely on Him, yes, but still be willing to do the hard work...physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
I feel like it was a divine appointment that I read the article about Sean and his transformed life on July 14th. (My first blog post explains what I mean.) On that day I learned two things: I learned that I could really do this. And I learned that I didn't have to do it on my own. That I can rely on God, yes. But that He also puts people in our lives to encourage and love us...people we can encourage and love in return. Jesus set such a good example for us as He gathered together His twelve friends to love and support each other, and to get the job done!
In the end, I am truly writing this for me, and I am gaining good insight into what makes me tick even in this short time. But also in this writing, I am making connections with other people who share the struggle, and I'm really happy about that. Reading what many of you have written in your own blogs is so encouraging and helps me to stay on track. And if I can help you do the same, I couldn't be happier!
Well, today was weigh day and I clocked in at a 2 lb. loss! That's 17.5 lbs. for the first month and I'm pretty thrilled with that!
I decided early on that I was going to try really hard to not be disappointed with whatever the scale says as long as I know I did my best to make good, healthy choices during the week. For the past week, I stayed under 1,500 calories every day and I even made some healthy progress by drinking less diet soda and eating fewer processed foods. I also drank 64 oz. or more of water everyday, which contributed to my exercise because I had to exponentially increase my trips to the bathroom!! :-)
My big goal for the next week is to keep up the good work with my food choices, but to increase my physical activity by riding the bike everyday and by continuing to get up and walk around more at work. As the evenings get a bit cooler, I also plan to add a walk around the neighborhood.
To close, I got a really good idea from my new friend, Cathy. She wrote today about a tool that they use in weight watchers called "anchoring." Anchoring is identifying something tangible that you can look at or hold that will remind you throughout the day to stay the course. I think this is a fabulous idea and I am going to make a concerted effort to find my anchor this week.
God bless...
Congrats on the weight loss so far! Over 17 lbs! That's so great! You are definately on the right track.
ReplyDeleteI love you thoughts on living in a God-honoring way...relying on Him...and having a network on friends to encourage you. Good stuff!
And I'm curious about the anchoring thing...I need to go read Cathy's post. Can't wait to hear more about it.
Congrats on your loss this week and WOW you knocked your first month out of the ballpark.
ReplyDeleteFantastic loss! That is a great idea about the anchor...you have God on your side, and by honoring Him, He will provide you with all of the success you could possibly want. : )
ReplyDeleteKeep it up -- you are doing GREAT!
How about an...are you ready for this....ANCHOR! Something on a chain for around your neck, or keychain...etc. Just as an anchor stops a boat from running amuck and getting into trouble, it can remind you of the same thing. It will remind you not to run amuck. Remind you that it's there to hold you steady, keep you close. Just as you would consider God to be your anchor. He holds you steady, keeps you close and you pray to him when you are running amuck! I might have to get me one.
ReplyDeleteGenius!!! An anchor it is! Perfect really. Now I just have to find one. Gonna go google now :-)
ReplyDelete