Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Feel Like Dorothy... (Day 91)

There's no place like home!  ;-)

I had a great time the last few days sharing and collaborating with other communications professionals. We have now launched a great network of support that will make all of our jobs easier moving forward, and I'm very grateful for the opportunity.

The last few days have given me quite a boost in confidence related to my ability to make good choices in the face of uncertainty. I had fruit for breakfast at the hotel this morning, and lunch was baked potatoes, chicken fingers, breadsticks, and some kind of gorgeous cream pie. I had one baked potato with chives, and a nutri-grain cereal bar off the snack table.  I arrived home around 5:00 and had a low sodium turkey sandwich, string cheese, and some popcorn. I've finished up the day at 1,100 calories.

Shane asked me if one of my motivations for sticking so strictly to my plan is the fact that I would have to admit any slip-ups here on my blog.  To be honest, when I started this little trip, I was nervous about whether I'd be able to manage, and was actually preparing myself for the confession that I felt would be coming.  I was going to be in a room with a bunch of strangers, and I didn't want to ask for special treatment.  And I had no idea what food would be served.

But something happened early the first morning that made everything so much easier.  When we got started, our facilitator, Kem, asked each of us to answer a couple of questions so that we could begin to get to know one another.  The first question was related to how we got our current job, and how long we'd been serving in that position. But the second question was to tell everyone something about ourselves that others might now know.

That question gave me the perfect opportunity to talk about the last three months and my commitment to lose weight and improve my health. From then on, it was simple to manage.  And Kem helped to make it easy when we went to Gino's East by remembering and encouraging me to order whatever I wanted.

Anyway, I'm glad to be home and I can't wait for Bill to get here!  The next few days are going to be very busy getting things under control at work and getting ready to leave for Las Vegas on Saturday.  And I'm so far behind on my book study...Amy and Cheryl, I'll try and catch up to you ladies as fast as I can!

I also want to catch up on the other blogs I read so that's also on my to-do list.  Before I say good night, though, I do want to thank GP at Mind Over Fatter for giving me a Versatile Blogger award. I'm supposed to tell you seven things about myself, and nominate 15 other blogs...I'll try and pass this along tomorrow!  ;-)  Here's my top seven:
  1. I love to write in HTML code.
  2. I'm an Alfred Hitchcock freak!
  3. Scrabble is my favorite board game.
  4. I'm actually enjoying drinking water.
  5. I plan to write a fiction novel some day.
  6. Visiting Ireland and Israel is on my bucket list.
  7. I'm not as concerned about approval as I used to be.
Good night, friends...hope you all have a fantastic Wednesday!!

7 comments:

  1. Karyn, glad you made it home safely! You did so well navigating through your trip, it has to give you confidence that you can do that for a lifetime! :)
    Don't be concerned about the book study, I'd rather take our time and savor it, getting the most out of it than try to hurry through each day because it's on my list to get done.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are back home, and glad the trip was a non-issue diet wise. Sounds like you had a great learning experience both professionally and personally. Can't beat that with two sticks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the award, you're very worthy. It sounds like your trip went well and you were able to stay strong against temptations. The progress you have made over the last three months has prepared you to make healthy decisions even when out of your routine. Good for you Karyn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love HTML too !
    I want to learn and get better.
    Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have some time to relax when you go to Vegas, but busy is always good ... at least for me. Definitely get to Ireland. We went a couple of years ago and loved it, especially all the shades of green.

    ~Sheilah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so proud of you for doing so incredibly well on your trip and for having the courage to speak up and be so honest amidst strangers. I have a hard time doing it around friends and family.

    You are my hero, Karyn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HTML, reminds me of early Cobol, before your time.. So much >>>>/F

    ReplyDelete