Sometimes people just make me really sad. We got a call from the fraud division of our bank. They let us know that there was some questionable activity in our checking account linked to Bill's debit card. Seems that when we were on vacation in October, some thief got ahold of his information and decided to go on a $1,600 California shopping spree on us.
We're so grateful to Fifth Third for being so incredibly on top of things. Bill's card was frozen immediately and it seems like there's been no damage done that can't be undone. We just have to wait 10 business days for this stuff to clear out and for our money to be restored.
Bill's always really careful not to let his debit card out of his sight. If we're at a restaurant where the waitress takes our card to the register, he always uses a charge card instead of the debit. So we're not sure when and where this happened. It's a horrible feeling to have some stranger reach into your life uninvited like that. It makes me feel so vulnerable. But it also makes me feel sad for this woman. (For some reason, Bill and I both feel like the perpetrator is probably a woman based on the people who served us throughout the vacation). I wonder why she feels like it's OK to steal like that. Is it desperation, or compulsion, or excitement, or some other unknown motivation? We'll probably never know, but I will pray that she turns her life around, and that others who may not be as lucky as we were will not be victimized in the future.
On a more positive note, it's been a good day in food and water land. 1,280 calories and closing in on 100 oz. of fluids. I'm having one of those weeks where I physically feel like I've lost weight. I've got these incredible bones emerging. Jawbone, and wrist bones, and hip bones, and collarbone, and ankle bones, and shoulder bones. They're all gaining prominence, after being hidden for so long. How remarkable!
The other big thing going on for us is on the Harry Potter front. We'll be seeing the new movie with the family on Friday, and I'm so excited that Bill was able to get the night off so he can join us. I can't wait to celebrate Justin and the special guy that he is!
Because Bill and I knew nothing about Harry Potter, we watched the first 5 movies this past weekend. We totally loved them! Bill was especially surprised because he kinda bought into all the controversy and criticism surrounding the series from the Christian community. He said in the future he'll make up his own mind about stuff like this because he didn't find any of the criticism to be valid. In our opinion, these books/movies are no more dangerous than the Wizard of Oz, for goodness sake!! It's simply pure fantasy and well-crafted entertainment!
So we have one more movie to go before Friday, if I can get my hands on the 6th movie (Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.) I'll run over to blockbuster tomorrow during lunch and see if they have it...I have a feeling I'm not the only one trying to cram before the new release!
Hope you've all had a magnificent Monday, and that a terrific Tuesday is right behind!
Good night and God bless...
That is so sad Karyn. I guess being poor has its advantages, nobody wants my debit card! Glad you have a good bank too that cut off the losses so fast.
ReplyDeleteI have not watched the Potter movies but in passing and I like the ones I have seen so far. Hope you have a great time Friday at the movies.
I know what you mean about those weeks you feel skinny! I am on the fence right now if I feel skinnier. We shall see friday!
Oh. I can't believe someone did that! I had to laugh at Shane's comment though...Troy and I must be in the poor crowd too. :) I'm glad to hear it's all getting worked out tough.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm glad to hear that you like the HP movies! You've gotta get a'hold of #6. Do I need to overnight you my copy?
You still need to go back and read the books though. They're so much better than the movies, as most book-to-movie conversions are.
LOL, you guys! It's just our luck...one of the few times we actually have money in our checking account, somebody wants to steal it!! ;-)
ReplyDeleteAmy...I'll let you know what I find out at blockbuster tomorrow. Hopefully we won't have to resort to inter-state DVD loaning! ;-)
And I'm definitely going to read the books. My kids are all in total agreement with you on that count!!
The same thing happened to me at my vet's office a few years ago. I'm glad your bank was right on the job!
ReplyDeleteI think that's one of the best lessons learned, the Holy Spirit leads us as to what's right for us.