Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Little Ticked Off on Day 151

Taking a break from website building for a quick post. I truly don't think I'm going to get any semblance of a normal life back until we launch this thing.  Come hell or high water, it's going up the week between Christmas and New Year's. There, I said it. So let it be written, so let it be done! (Hope that doesn't backfire on me like it did on Pharoah!) ;-)

I woke up at 4:30 this morning with my head already brimming with ideas and thoughts of all the things that have to be finished. I spent an hour trying to go back to sleep and then gave up.

During that hour, I did a little bit of pondering.

What I pondered about mostly was the idea that there's more than one way to do this weight-loss thing and to get where we want to be. I found my way via Sean's blog, and my life has changed forever. Completely and radically.

It's not like reading about eating less and exercising more was some really crazy, foreign concept.  After 20+ years of being fat (and much of that time being really, really fat), you can imagine there were countless times when I told myself to stop eating so much and start exercising.

But what resonated with me was reading about his life, and about the mental and emotional work that he had to do to change his relationship with food. He shared his journey, but he never acted like his was the only way to get there, or that people who were struggling along without very much to show for it were failures. He just shared what worked for him.

I like that.

I'm not opposed to the tough approach. I'm tough on myself. What I am opposed to is people being embarassed or humiliated in this forum because they're struggling or "not doing it right." I'm opposed to making it personal. I'm opposed to naming names and taking no prisoners.

"This blog is for me." I've read this many times on many blogs and I've said it before myself. And it is. It's to help me work it all out.  But if someone reads this along the way and is helped or inspired or motivated, I think that's awesome.

I wouldn't be where I am right now if I hadn't stumbled across Sean's blog. I was in the right place at the right time. And today, I read many blogs that inspire me and help me on this journey. Some of them are funny and creative, and all of them are motivating, either through the strength of their determination and resolve, or through their commitment and desire even when it's a constant struggle...a commitment to getting back up and trying again.

But during my time in this community, I've noticed that some people just seem to disappear.  That makes me so sad, and I wonder about them and pray for them often.  But it also makes me angry to think that some of them may have left because they were embarrased or humiliated by someone's post or someone's comment.

I hope that each one of them has been able to find that special thing that helps make everything click.  I wish that for all of us.

Hope your Sunday's treating you well, and that you hang in there no matter what! God bless...

3 comments:

  1. Karyn, very well said and I agree with you. We're all here for the same reason (hopefully)and for each of us it is our own journey to a healthy life.

    Take care friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karyn, I feel the same way. There is no one way to do this. And everyone's journey is different.

    I'd like to think we're here for support, to uplift not drag down.

    Hope you get a break soon. Your new website sounds like it will be exciting. I hope you post the link when you're done.

    Be blessed!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. When people are encouraged, they love the honeymoon phase, and especially if they get good results, it's only natural that they are enthusiastic! Maybe even a little "advice-y!"
    Sometimes I thinks its an attack and sometimes I think it's just spill-over from a new-found lease on life.
    Harsh comments can still just tear me up.
    There is no one good way.... maybe it's about balance!

    So let it be written, so it it be!
    heehee - I just coined a new phrase
    (from a typo!)

    I also know for a fact that I caused someone to quit blogging...
    And it still destroys me to this day.
    :(

    ReplyDelete